- CAN I WATCH LATER? Yes! Sign-up and we'll email you a recording
Exploring the natural world with printmaking.
This is an experimental workshop where we try things out just to see what will happen! No experience necessary – please join in for the joy of trying a new technique, which you can then continue to explore after the workshop.
During this session we will direct print using found materials from the natural world. In advance, please collect flowers/ petals/leaves. Flatter objects might print better, but I encourage you to test things out by selecting a variety of textures/ sizes and objects.
We will paint and print these, creating our own homage to the natural world, considering colour, placement, and pattern when printing. During the workshop we can share what we are creating and discuss what works well and what doesn’t, learning from each other.
Materials you will need:
- Found natural objects – leaves/ petals/ flowers/ tendrils/ thin twigs/ grasses/ new buds etc
For the workshop:
- Paper – to print on to (cartridge paper will be fine but try tissue paper/ printer paper/ coloured paper/ used envelopes etc).
- Paint brushes or a brayer/ printing roller
- Ink tray (if using a brayer) or some form of palette for your paints/ inks
- Block ink/ paints; I will be using block ink, but you can also use acrylic paint with block print medium, or even try with whatever paint you have! Acrylic or gouache would be worth a try.
- Printing plate – this can be a Perspex/ acrylic plastic sheet, the translucent plastic such as that found in toy boxes, or a clean tile or sheet of glass.
- Duration: 60 mins
- Online Zoom event: Join from your computer, phone or tablet (a recording will be available)
- Check the list of materials needed
Meet the Host, Amy Hutchings
Amy Hutchings is a printmaker, based in Bristol, specialising in silkscreen and hand print techniques. With a passion for colour and line, her work captures the every day. Amy is also involved in many different community art projects and loves using art to engage with different communities.
Preparing for the Event
For the best experience, you will need to have Zoom downloaded onto your computer. Please ensure you're connected to broadband/wifi rather than using your mobile phone connection (3G/4G).
We also recommend that pets are either calmly sitting on your lap or in another room, and any refreshments you may require are within your reach!
What if I can’t make the event?
If a recording’s available for the event, you can still register for it and we will send you an email with a link to a recording shortly after it ends.
Will my camera be on and will I be visible to the other people?
Your camera and microphone does not need to be on for you to enjoy your Mirthy event. The choice about whether to do this is completely yours.
How do I watch the live event?
Mirthy events are hosted on Zoom, a computer application that allows you to attend online events just by clicking a link. For detailed instructions, please go to our "FAQ" page, which you can find a link to in the nav bar at the top of the page.